Last week, Science Daily published a story on how
Organized poaching is decimating Madagascar's sea turtles. The reason for the rise in trafficking is the increase in demand for marine turtle meat and oil in local markets and abroad. Also, local villagers are taking part in poaching for monetary gain. In the past several years, illegal hunting levels appeared to have increased significantly.
Science Daily is a well-known science news website on latest scientific discoveries in different fields ranging from physics to applied science. The report was very informative, however, I wish there was more statistical information on the hunting levels and the endangerment of sea turtles. Obviously, it is evident that the authors are against the poaching of the sea turtles which I agree with. In addition, I think it is necessary to raise awareness on the importance of sea turtles and how marine life is being threatened every day.
Shells of poached sea turtles. WCS says the illegal hunting of Madagascar's sea turtles is reaching a crisis level as a result of organized trafficking networks.
Credit: Santisy Andriamiravo/WCS Madagascar
Good analysis of the article! I agree that the turtles should be left alone, especially since the articles say they've always been a small population. I think it would also be cool if they discussed the social impacts of stopping people from hunting them, as well as how the turtles contribute to their ecosystem.
ReplyDeleteI like how you analyzed this article. You clearly stated your opinion and the author's opinion and what they wrote. I agree that there should have been more info on the statistics of turtle trafficking and abuse of the turtles. The images also helped to visualize, as we don't really experience this issue in our lives.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that you call for more detail and statistics - having a reference point for the degree of the problem can be very helpful. Madagascar is a unique habitat for a variety of wildlife, and is a hotspot for other threatened and endangered species. I agree with Caitlin's comments about including a nature-society component to the discussion. Good review of an interesting piece.
ReplyDelete